The Akan people of Ghana frequently name their children after the day of the week they were born. Day names are a cultural practice of the Akan people of Ghana and Ivory Coast. Everyday corresponds to a different Akan male and female name.
Most names are later spelt and pronounced differently. The variation of the spellings and pronunciations depends on the Subcultural Akan group. For example, the Fante people pronounced all the day names differently whilst the Akuampim people spelt it differently but pronounced it the same as the Akans.
Below are the names given based on the day of birth:
- The name of the day in the Akan language is Edwoada, Boys born on these days are called Kwadwo and girls are called Adwoa. Alongside with this, Adwoa might mean someone with a philosophical, determined and intense with a desire to endure, and often religious soul. Adwoah Aboah a Ghanaian British Model and Activist is one of the famous Ghanaian people with this name.
- This day is known to be in the Akan language as 3benada, Males born these days are called Kwabena whilst the females are named Abenaa. A lot of famous Ghanaians hold this name, among them, is Dylan Kwabena Mill know as Dizzee Rascal, Ghanian British musician.
- Wukuada is the Ghanaian name of Wednesday. Males born on Wednesday are called Kwaku whilst females are called Akua. Wednesday borns are Seemingly unemotional, are calm and reserved, haughty and detached. Most certainly, they are sober and very deep, but also shy, honest, and of impeccable morality. Akua Naru is a famous Ghaianain American Mc and rapper with this weekday name.
- Yawoada is the Akan name for this day. Yaw is the name given the male born on this day whilst Yaa is the name for the female. Thursday born has a lot of celebrities from Ghana. Among the list are Ghanaian footballers Yaw Antwi, Yaw Amankwaa Mireku and many more. Let not forget the Asante Queen Yaa Asantewaa who fought for the Edjuaso Empire during the colonisation, Where one of our swimwear came from.
- Weekend 3noa ne fiada! Which means Weekend starts from Friday in the Ashanti language. This day is one of our favourite days because Friday is the birthday of our CEO & Founder: Bernice Boakye Dufie, who has his Akan original name as Afia. Friday is also the birthday of the late former United Nations secretary-general, Kofi Annan.
- Memeneda is the Akan name for Saturday. The male born on this day are called Kwame whilst females are called Ama. Among Saturday borns, we have the famous Actress Nana Ama MC Brown, Ama Asante British Ghanaian Writer, Director and Filmmaker.
- The last but not the least is Kwasiada: Sunday. Those born on Sunday are called Kwasi(male) and Akosua(female). Among them is Akosua Busia, Ghana naturalised British Actress.
And that was a wrap. Hope you’ve had some culture about Ghanaians week name and why they are given. Let me know what in think in the comment below.